Saturday 15 October 2011

Raspberry Sourdough Muffins


OK these have been the best things I have made with the sourdough so far. I was impressed. They were better than what you'd get at Starbucks. My youngest helped me make them but she didn't like them. My son devoured them. I used local raspberries grown organically and froze them myself. I washed them, put them on a cookie sheet and stuck it in the freezer. When frozen I stuck in a ziploc bag and kept it in the freezer. I do the same thing with blueberries when they're in season. This is worth keeping the sourdough for. So is the zucchini bread recipe I'll post in a few days.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper cups for 24 muffins.
Crumbles:
1/3 c.brown sugar
1/4 c. flour
2 T. butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest

In a bowl, blend until crumbly. I used a hand mixer.

Muffins
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup sourdough starter
3/4 cup butter milk (to make use 1 tbsp lemon juice and add enough milk to fill to 3/4 line. Let sit 5 min)
1/3 cup oil
1 cup frozen raspberries (I froze mine fresh and organic from the farmers market)

Measure flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Mix to combine. In another bowl beat the egg. Then add sourdough starter, buttermilk and oil. Mix well. Add dry ingredients to wet. Stir until just mixed. Do not over mix. Add raspberries and spoon into muffin tins filling to 2/3 full. Sprinkle crumbles over the muffins. The spots in the muffin tins that you don't use (I believe I had like 4) fill 1/2 way with water. Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from tin and let cool on wire rack before storing in air tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment