Thursday 13 October 2011

Menu planning

At the beginning of October I planned the whole menu for the month of October. This has been a great idea. I took stock of what I had in my kitchen and I am able to plan my grocery shopping in advanced. I have budgeted 100 a week for food and now I have created lists on what to buy each trip to the grocery store. I printed off a calendar and filled it out so the kids know what were having each night. They think it's cool. I find it so much easier, saves me time and I am spending less at the grocery store. With it being fall fruits and vegetables are still really cheap. In a month or two the prices will go up again. My Mom and I had a garden and we canned and froze the stuff. That will also help over the winter. I am saving up bread bags and clips to put homemade bread into them. I got out my containers for muffins and cookies for snacks for the kids.
The rest of the weeks and next weeks menu looks like this.


13 thursday turkey spagetti
14 friday salmon patties vegetables noodles
15 sat cabbage casserole defrost I made it and froze it ahead of time. Will just defrost and reheat in the oven with cheese on top
16 sunday ham scallop potatoes lemon meringue pie
17 monday quiche macaroni salad
18 tuesday  shake n bake vegetables salad
20 thursday lentils rice salad

breakfast varies by what the kids want, lunches are hit and miss but I plan on making hamburger buns with cheese and weiners for happy faces (gotta indulge in favourites once in a while), and quesidilla (yes I probably spelled it wrong) we also eat only fish on fridays. I also only planned for the nights the kids are here. On the nights they're gone I have just whatever or go over to my moms.

my grocery bill will be doable this month!
It's time consuming to plan the menu but worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment