Saturday 8 October 2011

My first post

I really wanted my first post to be full of pictures. Everyone loves pictures right. They give you a visual picture. I am a visual learner. I need to see pictures. But alas I cannot find my camera. My son used the SD card in it for his Wii and I'm sure the camera is in his room somewhere. But that place looks like a nuclear bomb went off in there. Just opening the door upsets me so I choose not to go in there. When he comes home on Monday I'll get the camera. So I can post pictures and make everybody happy out there in the blog world. Although I must warn you my camera is crappy. My expensive nice camera died around January. I didn't have the thousand dollars for a good camera so I bought a point and shoot thing. Supposedly it's suppose to be better than my ancient dinosaur of a camera but I don't think so. Maybe I just don't like change. Maybe I don't know how to work the new camera. But the bottom line is I don't like how the pictures turn out. Dark, blurry things. My old camera took crisp nice pics. How I miss it. Anyways onto the reason for my post.

Are you ready?
These are time consuming.
But so worth it.
A fall treat when apples are fresh and plentiful.
So good.
Better than cinnabun.
Which is saying alot because those buns are almost to die for.
Then I made these.
I usually don't eat my baking but I was hungry and had to try one.
So glad I did because when they were gone I had to make another batch.
The downside is you need a bread maker.
So if you don't have one go buy one.
I use mine all the time.
You need a bread maker.
But if your not going to buy one just stop reading.
Because your going to end up jealous over my awesome buns I can make and you cannot.
Don't say I didn't warn you.
I try to eat healthy.
These are so not healthy.
But everyone deserves a treat once in a while.
Moderation is the key.
The last batch I ended up giving half of them away. Or I would have ate the rest of the pan myself.
Going to have to find more willing participants in eating my baked goods.....any suggestions?



Apple Cinnamon Buns With Cream Cheese Icing.

Dough
1 cup of warm milk. Since I don't use the microwave (that is another post) I heated it on the stove.
2 eggs at room temperature
1/3 cup of butter melted
4 1/2 cup of bread flour or all purpose flour. (I use all purpose)
1 tsp of salt
2 1/2 tsp of yeast

Put in bread maker in order listed by manufacturer.  Set to dough cycle.

Apple filling
5 medium appes peeled cored and diced
3 tbsp of butter
1/4 cup of brown filling
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of corn starch

Filling
1/2 c of butter at room temperature ( I let it and the cream cheese sit out for a couple of hours)
1 c of brown sugar
2 1/2 tbsp cinnamon

Carmel Cheese Icing

8 oz of cream cheese softened
1/2 c of butter at room temperature
3 c of icing sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
5-6 tbsp caramel ice cream topping (I didn't have this and I'll never use it so I just omitted it...still good)

Butter to grease the pan. I used Pam no stick spray.

Make the dough in the bread maker. When finished remove and let rest for 15 minutes.

Take apples and ingredients listed there and cook in frying pan for 10-15 min till soft. Let cool.

Meanwhile roll dough which has rested onto counter or table. I use my kitchen table because I have absolutely NO COUNTER SPACE. It should be a large rectangle. Roll it out as big and as even as you can. The first time I did a great job. The next time I didn't roll it out enough and I didn't get nice buns.

Take the butter at room temperature and spread it with your hands all over the dough. I love the feeling of the butter on my hands afterwards. A mess to wash but a cool tactile feeling!

Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together. Sprinkle over dough. Add apple filling and spread over dough.

Roll up and taking one side from the long edge and roll up. Try to seal the ends as best as you can. Using dental floss (which works best) slip it under the roll and bring up cutting the roll. When the dental floss meets at the top it will have cut through the roll. Using a knife really doesn't work well. You could try thread but I find dental floss works the best. Cut the whole roll into 1.5 thick pieces.

The apple mixture will squeeze out. Don't worry.

Place the cut peices in the greased 9x13 pan. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. When you have placed all the peices in the dish take the apple filling that was squeezed out and spread over top of buns in the pan. Bake for 15 min.

Take the cream cheese and butter and beat with electric beater. Add icing sugar 1/2 c at a time otherwise you will end up with a cloud of icing sugar all over your kitchen. Add vanilla and carmel topping if using. Beat till smooth like icing. Icing buns while still warm.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. giddy that you have a blog :) now I can stalk you :)

    ReplyDelete