Monday 10 October 2011

My new fav soup

I cannot find my camera. My son had it last week and I have not been able to find it since. I imagine it's in his room somewhere. And I am not going in there. I asked him at supper to find it. I imagine by next week at this time, after I remind him a few times he will find it. So I cannot take pics of this for you. But it is good. Great for the fall. It is comforting and great for the soul. The perfect soup for the transition from the sunny warm summer into the cool brisk fall.
I will warn you about puree it. It calls for an immersion blender. Which I do not own. But I have a blender. So I did it in the blender. The first time I made it the lid blew off and burned my chest, and neck. I had hot boiling soup all over my hoodie. It was a mess. But the worst part was how my skin stung for a few days. I think it will heal over nicely. I don't think it's going to scar that bad.
The next time I thought I was smart and held the lid down. But that soup outsmarted me. It still blew the lid off and I burnt my wrist. I googled it. It said the build up of steam causes the lid to blow up. So the next time I make this soup I will cook it in the morning, let it cool, puree it and reheat on the stove when I want it for supper. I also think I will double the recipe so I have recipes.

Potato and Leek Soup

3 Leeks. For those who have never used leeks trim the ends off and use only the white bulb parts at the end. Discard the green part. Slice into thin slices.
2 TBSP butter
4 Cups of chicken broth
about 10 potatoes peeled and cut into cubes

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium low heat. Add leeks and stir occasionally. They should soften but not brown. Cook about 10-15 minutes until soft. Add chicken broth and potatoes. Cook over medium low heat for 20-25 minutes until potatoes are soft. Puree with immersion blender. DO NOT USE A BLENDER AS YOU WILL END UP LIKE ME WITH HIDEOUS MARKS ON YOU.

Flavour with hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste.

I serve with homemade biscuits! And yes Katie they are whole wheat.

No comments:

Post a Comment