Wednesday 12 October 2011

Left over turkey

Left over turkey is the best. I love making spagetti, sandwiches, soup you name it I try it. Last night it was soup with biscuits. After the turkey was cooked I took the bones and covered them in water. Soaked it over night in water. In the morning I ran it through a strainer and kept the liquid. I measured it in 4 cup bags and froze them. I poured 4 cups into the crock pot, and decided to make soup for dinner. I cut up carrots and onions and minced some garlic and threw it in. Cut up some turkey and threw it in. Walked away. Did a Katie and had the crock pot on keep warm. Which really turned out in my favour because otherwise the soup would have been ready way too early. My crock pot is possessed and cooks things too fast. So I switched it to low and waited. Got the noodles out and set them to the side. Just before dinner I decided to make sourdough biscuits. I was the only one who ate the biscuits. And after dinner I left the crockpot plugged in because I knew I'd want to save some for dinner on Wednesday. It was then I realized I forgot to add the noodles. Threw them in and let them cook. I poured a bowl out and ate half a bowl just before I went to bed.  It was delicious.

Turkey Soup

2 TBSP olive oil
1/2 small bag of baby carrots sliced thin
1 cooking onion diced
3 cloves garlic minced
4 cups chicken or turkey stock
cut up turkey to suit your desire
noodles to suit your desire they expand so go less than what you think

Cook onion in olive oil over medium low heat in frying pan till translucent. Pour stock in crock pot. Add onions and oil, carrots and garlic and turkey. Cook on low for 4-6 hours till carrots are tender. (Honestly I am guessing on the time because my crock pot is possessed remember. But cook till carrots are tender and soup is hot) Add noodles in last 15 min of cooking.

Sourdough Biscuit

1 cup sourdough starter
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 and a half cups of all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Mix starter and oil. Add flour, soda and salt. With floured hands mix together until well mixed and ball forms. Turn onto floured surface and knead 8 - 10 times. With floured rolling pin roll until 1/2 inch thick. Cut out with floured biscuit cutter. Bake at 425 for 8-10 min until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment