Friday 14 October 2011

Apple Bread Pudding

My mom got a basket of apples from a coworker who has an orchard. They had spots on them so you can't eat them plain but they are perfect for baking. I've made an apple pie, apple cinnamon buns, apple crisp and this. I also have 6 bags of milk that need to be used up. You know the bags that 3 come in a big bag. Well I have 2 of the big bags that need to be used up by Monday. So I'm trying to get rid of the milk. This recipe was perfect. I've never had bread pudding before and this was delicious. The kids liked it too. I'm saving the rest for an after school snack for them. I don't understand how they can be so hungry after school. LOL. I did add more raisins. I used 3/4 cup. But only because I love raisins.

8 slices of bread with the crust trimmed
Butter to butter the bread and 1 TBSP for the frying pan
3 apples, peeled cored and sliced
8 tbsp sugar
2cups milk
2 eggs
1tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon.

In 8x8 dish layer 4 slices of bread butter side up. In sauce pan place 1 tbsp butter and melt. Add apples. Cook for 3-5 min. Sprinkle with 2 TBSP sugar. Cook for 5 min till golden brown. You do not want them mushy.
Combine eggs. Slightly beat. Add remaining sugar and cinnamon. Heat milk over medium low heat till warm. Combine with egg mixture.
Placed cooked apples on top of bread. Cover with 4 peices of bread buttered side down. Pour over egg and milk mixture. Let soak for 30 min to absorb most of the milk.
Place in roasting pan. Fill pan with enough water to come up half way of 8x8 dish. Bake at 375 for 40 min.
Serve room or at room temperature. I added milk to the serving bowl.









No comments:

Post a Comment