Friday 14 October 2011

My chili recipe

Nothing beats chili in the fall and winter.
With melted cheese on top
And fresh french bread buttered to perfection.
Posting this makes me want to go make a pot.
I make enough chili to freeze some for another meal.
It is a large batch but you can skip the pork n beans and corn and cut the meat in half to make it smaller.
I also am guessing at the amount of beef because I buy it in bulk, divide and freeze it when it's on sale.
Life on a budget is like that!
I use ground beef but I have made it with ground turkey and it turns out just as nice. We really only eat red meat a couple times a week and I prefer the hamburger so that's what I use. It's all about moderation really. Make it with whatever you like.

Chili

3-4 lbs of ground hamburger or turkey. Just buy the package in the store that's about 4 or 5 dollars and use 2 pkgs.
1 onion diced
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato paste
2 cans of kidney beans, rinsed well.
1 can of pork and beans
1 can of corn. Sometimes I use frozen corn if I don't have canned.
2 red peppers or green or whatever you like, seeded and diced
1 jalepeno pepper seeded and diced if you like
1-2 tbsp of chili powder depending on how hot you like it

Fry hamburger and onion. Rinse and drain well. Throw it in a crock pot. Add remaining ingredients. Stir well to combine. Cook on low 6 - 8 hours or high 2-4 hours till heated throughly. Remember my crock pot is a demon and cooks super fast. I would guess those times are for normal crockpots that don't have a demon working them.
Serve with grated cheese or sour cream
I often make french bread or buns for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment